Destination Barcelona tourism forecast 20/08/2021
The Observatory of Tourism in Barcelona updates the Destination Barcelona tourism forecast report.
The Observatory of Tourism in Barcelona updates the Destination Barcelona tourism forecast report as of 20/08/2021. This report highlights the effects of Covid-19 on the tourism sector.
Covid-19 preventive measures continue despite the increasing number of worldwide vaccinations.
In Catalonia, from the 20/08 to the 26/08, the following measures affect the tourism sector:
- Restaurants and bars: 50% of capacity on the inside and 100% on the outside of the establishments. Opening time: until 12.30 am.
- Commerce: 70% of capacity on shops without surface limit
- Professional events: allowed at 70% of their capacity
- Culture: 70% of capacity in museums, exhibition centers, cinemas and concert halls until 23 h. Opening time: until 12.30 am.
- Nightlife: closed except totally outdoor venues. Opening time: until 12.30 am.
- Sports: public is allowed at 70% of capacity. In outdoor sports activities with a capacity of more than 10,000 people, 30% is allowed if there are independent sectors of 3,000 people.
- Amusement parks: 50% of capacity
- Night curfew: from 1 am to 6 am in the municipalities with the highest epidemiological risk
The EU Digital COVID certificate is operational. In Spain, the entrance of passengers from EU countries (or zones) with risk is allowed if one of the following is presented:
1. Vaccination certificate
2. Diagnosis certificate
3. Recovery certificate
The rest of EU passengers are accepted without any certificate. However, it must be reminded that the EU has advised not to travel to Catalonia due to extreme risk of Covid-19.
On the other hand, passengers traveling from intercontinental countries are also accepted as long as they present the vaccination certificate. Passengers coming from Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Namibia and South Africa must quarantine for 10 days.
The global airlines capacity during 16/08 week has decreased by -35,3%, and in Spain, by -25.4% (var. 21/19), reducing by 15,000 seats the capacity on the previous week.
The forecasts show an increase in the number of seats operated worldwide over the next weeks, although it must be reminded that airlines continue to readjust their flight schedules week after week.
During the following week, 8 cruises ships are leaving or making a stopover at Barcelona Port.
Tourist offer and professional events
In Barcelona city, 230 hotels with 48,573 beds remain open. The Eixample, the Gothic Quarter, and Sant Martí are the districts with more available offer.
Beasides, 89.8% of the cultural facilities in Barcelona city are open, while more restrictive measures for the development of cultural, popular, and sports activities are being added: Only events with seated assistants are allowed.
As for the professional events, it must be highlighted that there are 111 confirmed congresses for the upcoming years, 30 in 2021. Meanwhile, about 90 applications are open until 2027.
Over the last week, Google searches from Spain for Barcelona city have decreased while those for Destination Barcelona have increased. Most of the searches for both geographical areas keep coming from Catalonia.
The Barcelona flights and accommodation searches achieve their best positioning on the French, the Spanish, the Italian and the Dutch markets, followed by United Kingdom. Destination Barcelona has ranked, 12th in searches of accommodation and 10th in searches of flights in the ranking of international destinations worldwide.