Accommodation in Destination Barcelona ends August with an increase in the average length of stay and occupancy rates
The latest tourism activity data in Destination Barcelona have been updated
In August 2022, the evolution of tourism activity indicators in Destination Barcelona kept a generally positive trend, thanks to a growth in the number of overnight stays, an increase in the average length of stay and a higher occupancy rate in accommodation. Despite this, there have also been some setbacks in the activity monitoring indicators.
Below are the key indicators for August:
- The bed supply in tourist accommodation in Destination Barcelona practically equalled the pre-pandemic figures: despite the closure of some hotel and rural tourism establishments in Barcelona region, more than 177,000 beds were registered in the Destination as a whole, which was only -0.6% below the same period in 2019.
- Tourism demand increased on the previous month, although the number of tourists was reduced in all the areas of analysis: in Barcelona city, more than 3.2 million overnights were registered (+3.9% MoM) and, in Barcelona region, 2.5 million (+11.6% MoM). Thus, demand was -4.9% behind the same period in 2019, and the average length of stay in all types of accommodation increased MoM. Noteworthy is the growth in rural tourism establishments (from 2.9 to 4.8 nights). The occupancy rate in places and also increased in all cases, especially in homes for tourist use in Barcelona city and in rural accommodation in Barcelona region.
- The number of passengers Barcelona Airport kept over 4.4 million (+0.8% MoM) thanks to the reopening of air routes and its consequent increase in air capacity, which meant almost 83% of the levels reached in August 2019.
- In contrast, in Barcelona Port, ferry passengers overcame those of cruise ships, so that the first experienced a +42.4%-MoM-increase (+21.1% Var 22/19) and the second, a -8.6%-MoM-decrease (-20.6% Var. 22/19).
- Cultural facilities in Barcelona city registered almost the same number of visitors in August than in the previous month (about 240,000), which means -15.4% below the same period in 2019. However, the proportion of international visitors kept stable: 3 out of 4.
- International tourism also continued leading the ranking of tourists in hotel establishments in both Destination Barcelona (77.9%) and Barcelona city (86.7%).
- At Barcelona Airport, passengers on domestic flights (27.4%) kept the first position. Despite being far from the domestic flight passengers, those travelling from Italy (9.8%) achieved the second position, followed by those from the UK (8.8%), and Germany (7.5%).
- The expenditure during the stay per person and day in the whole of the Destination stood at 67.0€, 6€ more than in the previous month, and 4.3% on the same period in 2019. Food and drink was the item where most of the money was spent.
- The tourism activity job market experienced a new decline in August: registered unemployment, despite being below pre-pandemic levels (-15.3%), grew by +2.3% MoM, while the number of contracts signed fell by -34.4% MoM. However, it should be noted that, new indefinite contracts slightly outnumbered temporary ones.
With the analysis of the different thematic areas, which offer a transversal vision of the sector, the Observatory of Tourism in Barcelona updates the monitoring of the tourism activity. This analysis complements the monthly report on the Profile and Habits of Tourists in Barcelona Destination. All data is presented in three geographical areas: Barcelona city, Barcelona region, and Destination Barcelona.
Consult the interactive report: