Destination Barcelona tourism forecast 09/10/2020
The Observatory of Tourism in Barcelona updates the Destination Barcelona tourism forecast report
The Observatory of Tourism in Barcelona weekly updates of the Destination Barcelona tourism forecast report as of 09/10/2020:
- Despite the internal EU borders are open, almost all EU countries maintain restrictive measures. Some of them have recommended not to visit Catalonia and / or Spain, other have imposed mandatory quarantines, PCR tests or other measures to passengers coming from Spain.
- Scheduled global flights during 05/10 week have been decreased by -46.3% year-on-year, which means an increase of +0.5pp over the previous week. However, weekly capacity has remained virtually stable since July's last week. In Spain, the air capacity has dropped by -64.8% compared to the same week last year, which means a new weekly decline (-0.6pp).
- The Google searches for Barcelona city, as a tourist destination, from the spanish market have decreased over the last week. However, the interest for Barcelona Destination has remained increased. Most of the searches for both geographical areas keep coming from Catalonia.
- Over the last week (28/09-04/10), hotel reservations in Barcelona city have remained at a very low level. While three weeks ago, 18.9% of bookings had been made, two weeks ago, they were 17.5%, and last week, they were 17.8% (compared to all-time record high for January).
- Over the week (28/09-04/10), the volume of hotel reservations in Destination Barcelona has kept downsizing. While three weeks ago, 50.9% of bookings had been made, two weeks ago, they were 43.7%, and last week, they were 38.4% (compared to all-time record high for January).
- The number of open cultural facilities in Barcelona city remains stable: 88 cultural facilities are being monitored and 3 out of 4 are open to the public.
- On 05/10/2020, 138 hotels were open in Barcelona city with a total of 30,398 beds available. The Eixample, the Gothic Quarter, and Sant Martí are the districts with more available offer.
- There are 123 confirmed congresses for the upcoming years, 7 from now until the end of 2020.
Complete report: Destination Barcelona tourism forecast (09/10/20) (in Catalan)