Destination Barcelona tourism forecast 02/10/2020
The Observatory of Tourism in Barcelona updates the Destination Barcelona tourism forecast report
The Observatory of Tourism in Barcelona weekly updates of the Destination Barcelona tourism forecast report as of 02/10/2020:
- Despite the internal EU borders are open, almost all EU countries maintain restrictive measures. Some of them have recommended not to visit Catalonia and / or Spain, other have imposed mandatory quarantines, PCR tests or other measures to passengers coming from Spain.
- Scheduled global flights during 28/09 week have been decreased by -46.8% year-on-year, which means an increase of +1.2pp over the previous week. However, weekly capacity has remained virtually stable since July's last week. In Spain, the air capacity has dropped by -64.2% compared to the same week last year, which means a new weekly decline (-2.8pp).
- The Google searches for Barcelona city, as a tourist destination, from the spanish market have slightly increased over the last week. However, there is a downward trend in comparison with the maximum annual value. On the other hand, the interest for Barcelona Destination has remained stable. Most of the searches for both geographical areas keep coming from Catalonia.
- Over the last week (21/09-27/09), hotel reservations in Barcelona city have kept declining. While three weeks ago, 19.7% of bookings had been made, two weeks ago, they were 18.9%, and last week, they were 17.0%.
- Over the week (21/09-27/09), the volume of hotel reservations in Destination Barcelona has also kept downsizing. While three weeks ago, 51.9% of bookings had been made, two weeks ago, they were 50.4%, and last week, they were 42.2%.
- The number of open cultural facilities in Barcelona city remains stable: 88 cultural facilities are being monitored and 3 out of 4 are open to the public.
- On 28/09/2020, 132 hotels were open in Barcelona city with a total of 28,871 beds available. The Eixample, the Gothic Quarter, and Sant Martí are the districts with more available offer.
- There are 124 confirmed congresses for the upcoming years, 8 from now until the end of 2020.
Complete report: Destination Barcelona tourism forecast (02/10/20) (in Catalan)